Campus News

Smoke%2C+2019%2C+by+Justin+Schmitz+

Smoke, 2019, by Justin Schmitz

Exhibit explores adolescents culture and violence

Justin Schmitz is a Chicago-based photographer who is hosting an art exhibit both inside and outside the library at MCC from Nov. 8 to Dec. 17 in Art Galleries One and Two. This exhibit is called Into the Mist and is an attempt to explore suburban adolescent culture and its relationship to war and violence. Schmitz also teaches photography and digital imaging at MCC.

During a reception held for him, Schmitz went into detail about his inspiration regarding his art. He wanted to toe the line between a somewhat realistic depiction of soldiers and kids playing with toys.

“The guns are Airsoft and look real. The photos are meant to mimic real-life.” He also explains how the art made its way to MCC. “This was all made for an exhibit in Kansas and was all brought here to McHenry.”

Schmitz has been working in this project for the last five years and is continuing to examine suburban culture and Airsoft as a popular pastime among many youths.

The exhibit in the MCC library is open to all.  For more information, Trevor Power, the gallery curator, is available at (815) 455-8785 or [email protected], and Justin Schmitz is available at (815) 455-8552 or [email protected].

— Joseph Ndu

Forensics team shines at tournament

The MCC forensics team placed third in Informative Speaking at the Crystal Clear Forensics Reception held at MCC on October 16. The event utilized a hybrid format to include live and virtual participation, which enabled such a tournament to proceed for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

MCC was well-represented at the tournament. The MCC team also took four of the top six places in Prose Interpretation. Nine of the ten judges were MCC Forensics alumni.

The event was a success for the school, showcasing both the effectiveness of the Forensics program and the capability of their blended live/virtual systems.

— Lucas Didier

Music ensembles offer much for students

If you have a passion for music and want to immerse yourself in a community with local musicians, then MCC provides a great opportunity for musicians at all levels. All MCC music ensembles are taught by professional performers in the community and are a perfect occasion to collaborate and expand creativity with those who hold like-interests and devotion to the arts.

There are several different ensembles available for those who practice an assortment of instruments. Spring 2022 ensembles include the MCC chorus meeting on Thursdays from 7- 8:50 p.m.; the Dixieland Band Chamber Ensemble on Thursdays from 1- 2:50 p.m.; Strings and Piano Ensemble meeting on Mondays from 9:30- 11:20 a.m.; and Guitar Ensemble practicing Thursdays from 5- 6:50 p.m. Enrolling in ensembles is simple and visiting www.mchenry.edu/start will get you started in the process of sharing your musical abilities with your community. However, if ensembles do not peak your interest, visiting www.mchenry.edu/music will guide any aspiring musicians who are looking to further their abilities through MCC.

— Ashley Zelazoski

MCC Spring Break Career Camp 2022

McHenry County College is hosting a one-week career camp March 28-31, 2022 during Spring Break for grade levels 1-8. The students will have the opportunity to do hands-on activities with experts in different career fields. The camp received a $20,000 Mission Grant from the Community Foundation for McHenry County to help fund the camp. The camp is also in collaboration with MCC’s Upward Bound program and the Youth and Family Center of McHenry County, who hired and trained high school students to be camp counselors. The camp will be held at MCC, 8900 US Hwy. 14, in Crystal Lake. The camp is open to all and is free of charge. A meal will be provided every day. More information on the camp will be available in early 2022, however those interested can email [email protected] to receive information as it becomes available.

— Aliyah DePersio