Wandavision changed the TV universe

Wandavision changed the TV universe

By Ryan Winters, Staff Writer

There is no doubt that the newest property from acclaimed Marvel Studios is one to be remembered for years to come. “Wandavision” is the most recent entrant into the M.C.U., better known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This show brought two of the most underdeveloped characters in the movies to two we never wanted to let go by the end of the series. “Wandavision”  ran for nine episodes and concluded on Friday, March 5th. The show changed the quality of TV as we know it, as it tackled different time periods of television with extreme precision and quality. Perhaps the biggest development with the show is what it means for the future, but I’ll get there later.

For those who are new to the Marvel Universe, you’re not the only one. MCC Student Gavin Conley just recently got into the Marvel movies. “I didn’t start watching the show until it had already finished its first season and then binged it with my girlfriend in about two days,” Conley explained. The Marvel movies have been around for a little over 10 years and have been making magic a reality for every one of those years. The movies have been the main focal point as movies such as “Avengers Endgame”  have reigned as box office champions the weekend they came out. The TV scene is new to the Marvel Universe as Disney + is the latest and greatest invention from the overlords at Disney. This is just the beginning for Marvel’s TV ventures.

Now, what is “Wandavisionsome of you might be asking? It is a show that breaks superhero stereotypes where Wanda Maximoff, better known as the Scarlet Witch in the comics marries The Vision, a synthezoid or better known as an android. The two are living out life through sitcoms, but somethings are simply not as they seem. Now I’m not going to give away anything as the shows big twist is supposed to come out of left field, and neither did Conley. “At the start of ‘Wandavision’  I was very confused, but as the show went on, and my understanding of the parodies it was doing became more clear, I fell in love,” he said. “It was something I had never seen before and a new style from Marvel. As for the future of the MCU, I was already excited about it.”

However with all its shenanigans, “Wandavision at its core is a show about grief.  That may sound far-fetched considering its a Marvel product, but it truly is a show about loss and what it does to a person. Wanda — up until the show — has seen many loved ones die in other movies, and this show tackles that without a second thought. The show tackled six entirely different sitcom styles ranging from “Malcolm in the Middle”  to “I Love Lucy.” The set design and costumes were expertly crafted to fit characters like Wanda and Vision. This show however is not some throwaway gag to be forgotten, as this show sets into motion the future in a lot of very exciting ways.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been going on for 10-plus years, but this also means they have had four phases of movies, all interconnected. This show in particular has set up the magic corner of Marvel, heroes like Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Wiccan, and many more are going to be the new faces of the Marvel Universe and fans are ready for it.

“With a whole branch of comics dedicated to the magic users, it was bound to happen sometime,” Conley said. “I personally love Dr.Strange in the comics and the MCU. So I may be a bit biased in saying this but I love that magic is coming forward. At the very least it will allow for some cool special effects and interesting storytelling.”

Even though the magicians are taking front stage, there are still going to be science fiction pieces such as the next Disney+ show to take center stage which is “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier.” This show won’t be nearly as big as “Wandavision” — it seems as if it’s going to be more of a passing of the baton for the Captain America title than a reality changer. Conley admits that he doesn’t really care about the characters, “I personally am not that big a fan of Falcon or the Winter Soldier, but I am always interested in a new Marvel movie.”

With all of this being said, this is still a very tall order to be invested as there are so many Marvel movies to take into account, but the journey is worth the outcome in this case. These movies have been going on for so long because there is truly something special at work with how they are made. Perhaps the best part is that these movies haven’t gone stale yet, and Conley talks about what would have made “Wandavision” stale. “I think if Marvel had stuck with the same five or six popular superheroes, sure it would be stale,” he said. “But there are a million smaller heroes that they could touch on and keep things interesting.”

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is perhaps one of the only things keeping most people sane during this pandemic, and “Wandavision” came at just the right time. There’s no telling how long Marvel movies will be relevant, but it’s nice to have the comfort food right now.