Basketball star is student athlete of the month

Lauryn Cartee, MCC student and athlete, was named Student-Athlete of the Month for January. Cartee is a graduate of Grayslake Central High School and is now playing basketball for the Scotts.

The 5-feeet-7 freshman contributed her talents and efforts to Grayslake Central in her senior season last year, helping the team win a sectional championship and finish the season well over .500 at 30-4. Not only is Cartee great on the court, but also off the court as well. She has been able to maintain a stellar academic career and is currently in the race for the ISCC Academic All-Conference honors for this year. She has done great at balancing and maintaining her time whether it’s between school, basketball, or even work, which she participates in off campus in her free time.

As we know, sports have been complicated when it comes to the Covid-19 pandemic and students being able to safely participate in their respective sport. It is important for each athlete to stay positive and optimistic. Director of Athletics and Head Coach Karen Wiley explains that Cartee has done nothing but be a great teammate on and off the court, and has also kept her determination and dedication throughout these hardships that student athletes are currently facing. She is mature and well rounded, and she always spends extra time outside of practices and games to improve her abilities. Wiley also states that Cartee has a “very bright future.”

Congratulations to Lauryn Cartee for everything she has accomplished so far, and make sure to keep an eye out for her on the court in the future. Go Scotts!

— By Hannah LaMotta