Gun law protests draw concerned students

MCC students joined protests across the country on March 14.

By Michele Janelli, Staff Writer

Students all across the U.S. walked out of their schools on Wednesday, March 14, at 10 a.m. to protest school shootings and gun violence. The idea of a walkout steamed from the recent shooting at a Florida high school where 17 people were shot in 17 minutes. Students at MCC who participated in the walkout would hear a faint ringing sound for every one of those 17 minutes.

The walkout at MCC was held in the courtyard outside the cafeteria around a peace pole that commemorates victims of war and violence. Students gathered in a large circle around the pole and two students stood by it ringing a bell for every minute that passed. They rang the bell 17 times, symbolizing the 17 people that died and the 17 minutes endured by the students and teachers in the Florida shooting.

One student, Bill Bauer of Crystal Lake, was one of those two students ringing the bell. Bauer had some powerful stuff to say about the protest. “Change has to happen now and it won’t happen if we don’t stand. If we continue to stand changes will be made.”

The protest at MCC was a peaceful one, the sun was out, it was a bit chilly, and people stood in a circle holding hands, expanding it to newcomers and listening in silence to the light, but gut-wrenching ringing of the bell. There were people on the outside of the circle taking photos and some students held up signs in protest.

One of those students, Amber Steiger from Woodstock said: “ We’re here to say enough is enough. We are unhappy with how the government has handled this and we demand change. We want to feel safe at school and want to be heard.”

Students at MCC, and around the nation came together to support not only the victims of the Florida shooting, but all other shootings in the past and ones that may happen in the future if we as a nation don’t  do something about it.