Campus news

Campus+news

Need help with taxes? It’s free at MCC

MCC now offers free tax assistance and e-filing of federal and state returns for everyone who qualifies with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Clinic.

Any individual or household with income less than $60,000 is qualified for this service.

The walk-in hours are every Wednesday, January 2nd to April 12th, between 3:30-8:30 p.m and every Saturday, January 21st to April 15th, from 9 am-2 p.m. To use the remote drop-off option, email [email protected] to receive tax intake sheets. Once all paperwork is complete, taxpayers can either mail information back to MCC via USPS or drop off on campus (enter using Door B14—Lower Main Entrance by the flag poles) and deposit information in a locked drop box inside the vestibule marked “VITA.”

Some things to bring: prior year’s tax return, Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letters for all family members reported on the tax return (mandatory), valid photo identification cards (for main taxpayer on tax return), bank account routing and account number for direct deposit, advanced credit money received during 2021, earnings statements (wages W-2s), pensions, social security, unemployment, interest, dividends, 1099s, and other information.

The VITA Tax Clinic has many benefits, such as fast refunds with free e-filling of federal and state returns, VITA-certified preparers, banking and financial counseling.

For more information visit https://www.mchenry.edu/vita/

— By Zach Wilm

24-Hour play writing contest

MCC is hosting its 3rd annual 24-hour play competition. The event will happen in the Black Box Theatre starting at 6 p.m. Friday April 21  through April 22. The performances will officially start at 6 p.m. on the 22nd.

The signup deadline is April 15. The only requirements to sign up is to gather a group of 2-7 people and pay a $25 entry fee.

The challenge consists of writing, rehearsing, and performing a play within 24 hours. A cash prize will be given to the winning play. The competition is open to the public. Anyone who is in for a challenge can join.

Be ready to stay all night and the next day. The night will be full of fun, food and beverages provided.

“This event is an enjoyable exercise in creativity,” said Jay Geller, instructor of theater and speech at MCC. “It teaches participants to push their limits and collaborate with each other—all under the pressure of a running clock.”

Groups can sign up at https://bit.ly/3KvGUzL

For more information, contact Jay Geller at [email protected] or (815) 455-8746.

— Frankie Fleming-Lile

Registration open for summer classes

Registration for classes for the summer semester of 2023 is now open. While it may be a vacation for many, the college still offers a variety of in-person, online or blended classes for students to attend at various times of the day. The classes can help students gather and test skills of math, science, marketing and much more. The option also allows students to get a head-start on the fall semester and to make progress before potentially transferring to a four-year college.

Classes begin as early as May 15 and the college has many opportunities for scholarships and financial aid to help the students save money for their classes.

More information at: www.mchenry.edu/summer

and https://www.mchenry.edu/payingforcollege

— By Paul Kranenburg

Early childhood teachers program

Students at McHenry County College, who are looking to pursue a career in early childhood education, are now able to complete their degree with free tuition. This is possible because McHenry County College has a partnership with the Early Childhood Access Consortium for Education (ECACE), which is a state-wide program that provides scholarships in order to support the early childhood workforce.

Students who are pursuing a degree in early childhood education, are at least part time, and are currently taking an early education class, are eligible to get their full tuition covered. Jean Gaspari, MCC’s ECACE coach, recently talked about how there is a shortage in early childhood educators who are qualified and that this is a great opportunity for students.

For more information visit https://www.mchenry.edu/ecace/

— By Maria Mercurio

MCC offers summer sports camps

MCC has opened up registration for its summer sports program. The program is called ScotStars and it helps athletes in baseball, softball, and volleyball. This program is meant for kids between the ages of 10 and 17 with the prices varying depending on the sport they want to play.

“These camps are perfect for students looking to improve their game or get a little more practice this summer,” said Jared Wacker, coordinator of student-athlete success at MCC. “Campers get to interact with college coaches and learn new techniques while having fun playing the game with their peers.”

This is a program meant for kids to help improve their game. For more information visit: www.mchenry.edu/scotstars.

— Logan Lautenschlager

Try dinner at the Tartan Bistro

The Tartan Bistro is not just a restaurant, but a class full of hard working students who are on their way to becoming restaurant owners, chefs, bakers, and more.

The menu offers a wide variety of appetizers, entrees, desserts, and even wine and beer. Some of the delicious meals they are offering include seared scallops, steak, broiled crab dip, and duck.

To make a reservation, you can email [email protected]. It is  open on Wednesdays and Thursdays through May 4 in the Scot Room, B178. Seatings are available at 6, 6:15, 6:30, and 6:45 p.m. Tables are limited to parties of four or fewer.

For reservations provide the date, time, party size, and potential alternative dates in the reservation request.
For more information, visit https://www.mchenry.edu/tartanbistro/

— By Al Trch