The Tartan

Time will tell if Bears got it right with Trubinsky

Rookie+Mitchell+Trubinsky+could+be+answer+for+Bears+fans+
Rookie Mitchell Trubinsky could be answer for Bears fans

Bears photo

Bears photo

By Victor Tuccy, Staff Writer

As I began to watch the Chicago Bears week 6 football game I noticed something a little different about the vibe of the team. I noticed that since the Bears inserted Mitchell Trubinsky as the starting quarterback, not just the offense but the defense has a little more pep in their step, they have a little more swagger when coming to and being on the field against their opponents. I believe this rookie is the answer to the longest running joke and question this organization has ever had. Why can’t the Bears get a great quarterback?

Since my birth in January of 1993 the bears have fielded the 2nd most number of quarterbacks in the National Football League with 20, only surpassed by the Cleveland Browns who have started 26 in that time. This is just one statistic that shows the futility that this organization has had when it comes to not only drafting quarterbacks but also the fact that they can’t seem to sign someone in free agency that is deemed a great quarterback either. I will say in a small defense of this team that they have always strived to have a dominant defense and a punishing running attack.

With that being said this isn’t the rough and gritty NFL of the early 70s and late 80s. The game of football has changed since then and you can even say since 2010 the game has progressed even more. Gone are the days of running after the quarterback at will, and barreling down defenses with a bruising running attack with little to no passing. I believe the Bears still have a good defense — potentially top 10 in my opinion. The Bears have a great one, two punch in the running attack and to top it off I 100% believe the Bears have finally found their franchise quarterback in the man now nicknamed “the truth” by the Chicago faithful.

In Trubinsky’s first game, week number 5 of the season, he showed what Bears fans and what other sports writers believe to be the tools and skills to be a great and productive quarterback. He had 150 plus yards passing, a touchdown pass, and 2-point conversion. He also showed that he is still a rookie and that he will be prone to making mistakes, one would have been a game changing and potential game winning drive when he threw a forced pass that was intercepted and essentially sealed the game for the Minnesota Vikings. This was by all means what everyone would have suspected in a rookie’s first game if not for the fact that the Minnesota’s defense has been ranked in the top 10 for most of the year and the game was on a primetime Monday night with millions of people watching. I would have expected a much worse outing, even though the Bears lost 20-17 you couldn’t have asked for a better start to the Mitchell Trubinsky era in Chicago.

Going into week 6 of the season, I would not say I had very high hopes for the team because their opponent was the Baltimore Ravens, even with the close Monday night loss and the resonating hype behind Mitchell Trubinsky. The Ravens had a defense that was ranked in the top 5 and their record under their head coach John Harbaugh against rookie quarterbacks was 12 and 0 coming into this game. In the shortened week leading up to this game every expert and analyst gave their opinion on the rookie and the Bears. The most talked about subject with each conversation that I saw, watched, and or listened to was that the rookie will have a tough day against the Ravens defense and that the Bears’ defense will not be able to stop the high flying attack that the Ravens offense had mustered the few weeks prior to this game. As the game starts the bears’ defense gets a three and out and on comes the truth. His first play was a hand off and then again a hand off, it seemed like the Bears were going to do nothing but run the ball either left side or right side and for almost 60 plus minutes that’s exactly what they did. If not for the Ravens defense keying up on the running back set ups and plays the Bears employed, I believe Trubinsky may never have thrown a pass at all. He did however go 10 for 13 with 130 yards and 1 touchdown pass, enroute to his first regular season win. The Bears as a team however would proceed to do everything they could to lose the game it seems on accident. They would go on to blow a 10 point lead in the game with only 4 minutes left in the game. This game I am hoping is the first of many games where Trubinsky shows that he is progressing and showing that he has the stuff to be a NFL quarterback and not just a regular one but one that can be one of the all-time greats.

What is important is that he progresses into a more confident and complete player every time he proceeds to step onto the field. If anything in his first season as a NFL quarterback I want him to show to the fan base that for once at least in my life and a very long time in others that have watched football longer than me, that it’s time to believe that this organization has finally got it right in drafting the franchise quarterback that this team has so desperately needed all these years.