The Tartan

Social Sciences Club is a bit of both

Jasmine Wingrt welcomes all to the Social Sciences Club at the Student Organization Fair

Sarah LaLond

Sarah LaLond

By Sarah LaLond, Staff Writer

After learning more about the Social Sciences Club of MCC, I’d characterize it as the best place for good conversation about current issues with a small, tight knit group of people. I got this impression after talking with Jasmine Wingrt during the  Fall Organizational Fair

Wingrt first heard about this club after looking into it for her MCC 101 class, and continued to participate because of the great discussions. She is now the Treasurer of the Social Sciences Club and has been a student and at MCC since Spring ’17. The Social Sciences Club meets at 2:30 every other Wednesday starting September 13th in Student Life room A254. The club is advised by sociology instructor Sheila Venkataswamy and psychology instructor Robin Deak.

While talking with Wingrt, she made it clear that the Social Sciences Club isn’t just for social science majors. Wingrt is majoring in accounting, and still enjoys being a part of the club for the leadership and teamwork. These qualities can be strengthened thought the different events the club participates in. In the past, the Social Sciences Club has put together several Panel Discussions, including “Relationship between the Police and Community” and “Women in the Media.” There is also a Social Justice Fair and several fundraisers throughout the course of the semester, in partnership with the MCC Psi Beta/Psych Club. This is a great way to reach out into the community. I think one of the highlights of joining this club is learning Bollywood Dancing from Sheila Venkataswamy.

According to the information on the Social Sciences Club on the Student Organization part of the McHenry County College webpage, “We also promote better understanding of the human element by giving voice to issues that plague the human psyche and society at large.” If you’re interested in keeping up with current social issues and having a deeper understanding of how your classes connect to society, stop by the Social Sciences Club on September 13th or contact Sheila Venkataswamy at [email protected].